Subrogation Claims Adjuster
Public Storage is recognized as one of America’s Best Large Employers in 2022 by Forbes and our employees have also voted us as a Great Place to Work, having Best Career Growth, ranked us in the Top 5% for Work Culture, and in the Top 10% for Diversity and Inclusion.
With more than 2,800 locations nationwide, Public Storage is the leader in the self-storage industry, and given our number of tenants, we may very well be the world's largest landlord. We've experienced unprecedented growth over the past four decades, and it's in no small part due to the dedicated team that has helped us become an S&P 500 industry leader, the country's largest real estate investment trust (REIT), and the most recognizable name in self-storage.
We are looking for a Subrogation Claims Adjuster to join our Risk Management team in Glendale, CA.
Our team member will investigate, determines liability, confirm subrogation potential, establish fair recoveries and negotiate settlement of subrogation claims.
What You Will Do
- Conduct investigations, establish the facts of the loss, coverage analysis, compensability/liability/negligence determination, investigate possible application of risk transfer, litigation management, appropriate use of vendors, apply policy contract and insurance laws to properly assess and negotiate (settle, authorize or deny payment) to the conclusion of the claim within authority limits.
- Timely and appropriate reserve analysis and report completion.
- Prepare reports and Present claims in a round-table setting or at a claim review.
- Determine if subrogation opportunity exists and initiates recovery efforts.
- Daily maintenance of claims files, diaries, phone calls and emails.
- Review incoming correspondence, scan to files and keep active diary for timely follow up.
- Conduct negotiations and negligence discussions with adverse carriers or attorneys.
- Negotiate settlement of claims with subrogation potential and ensure maximum recovery is collected.
- Evaluate recovery potential on various loss types and determine best method of recovery.
- Maintain knowledge of national, state, and local insurance regulations through continuing education.
- Consult with manager on negligence evaluations, file strategies, and negotiations to ensure best possible outcome for the file.
- Proactively review and adjust estimates on subrogation demands from other carriers, negotiate settlement of claims with other carriers.
- 8+ years in Property & Casualty industry.
- 5+ years of claim handling experience in complex litigated claims and general liability claims.
- College degree is preferred and a designation (e.g. AIC, AIM, ARM, CPCU) and/or insurance related courses are a plus.
- A current and valid California broker’s insurance license or must obtain California property and casualty broker's insurance license within 90 days of hire
- Fluent in Spanish (speaking, reading and writing)
- Self Storage industry experience a plus
- A self starter mindset and can work independently in a fast-paced role while managing a high volume workload.
- Demonstrated organization, time management and priority setting skills.
- Experience with conflict resolution, negotiation and decision making.
- Proficient technical aptitude and a quick learner with new systems and programs.
- Experience working in claims management systems and strong knowledge of Microsoft applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Strong Interpersonal and communication skills
- Result oriented with strong follow up skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks simultaneously
Public Storage offers competitive compensation program, in addition to medical, dental, vision, life, LTD, STD, AD&D, 401(k) with company matching, FSAs for healthcare and dependent care. Public Storage is an equal opportunity employer.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Relocation assistance is not available for this role.