Senior Manager, SOX Program Management
With more than 2,600 locations nationwide, Public Storage is the leader in the self-storage industry, and given our number of tenants, we may very well be the world's largest landlord. We've experienced unprecedented growth over the past four decades, and it's in no small part due to the dedicated team that has helped us become an S&P 500 industry leader, the country's largest real estate investment trust (REIT), and the most recognizable name in self-storage.
The Sr Manager, SOX Program Management Office is a key financial leader responsible for overseeing the Company’s compliance with the Sarbanes Oxley Act (SOX). Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Controller, this individual will lead the annual SOX Program (including conducting risk assessment, setting scope, coordinating testing, and assessing control deficiencies as they arise) standardize and manage all documentation related to the Company’s system of internal controls over financial reporting, rationalize internal controls to ensure efficiency and efficacy, and coordinate with the Company’s internal auditor and our independent auditors. In addition, this role will be responsible to prepare and deliver periodic updates to executive management and Public Storage’s Audit Committee and recommend areas to improve/enhance the internal control environment.
Key responsibilities include:
- Oversee the Company’s compliance with all aspects of SOX including quarterly disclosure procedures and annual certifications
- Evaluate the design and operating effectiveness of key controls and provide recommendations on Finance business operational improvements and efficiencies
- Perform an annual risk assessment scoping exercise
- Develop and maintain process flowcharts and risk and control matrices; identify key controls working in coordination with the Company’s Manager of IT Risk and Compliance.
- Partner with the IT department to ensure any new or updated systems are well designed to address risks and support the Company’s internal control goals
- Partner with the Company’s Compliance and Ethics Office on matters of mutual concern
- Develop test plans and coordinate testing with the Company’s internal auditors
- Analyze results of testing
- Develop plan to remediate control weaknesses and deficiencies and monitor implementation
- Develop written reports for executive management and the Audit Committee
- Coordinate the Independent audit of Internal Control over Financial Reporting
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance or equivalent
- 10+ years overall related work experience including public accounting (Big 4 preferred)
- Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) and audit experience is required * CIA, CPA, CMA, CFA or CISA is strongly preferred
- A demonstrated understanding of Financial and Operational Risk and Control Mitigation, including recently updated COSO Framework
- High standard of ethics discipline and professionalism
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and able to work closely with people at all levels of the organization
Public Storage offers competitive compensation program, in addition to medical, dental, vision, life, LTD, STD, AD&D, 401(k) with company matching, FSAs for healthcare and dependent care. Public Storage is an equal opportunity employer.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Relocation assistance is not available for this role.