Senior Employee Relations Manager
Public Storage is recognized as one of America’s Best Large Employers in 2022 by Forbes and our employees have also voted us as a Great Place to Work, having Best Career Growth, ranked us in the Top 5% for Work Culture, and in the Top 10% for Diversity and Inclusion.
With more than 2,800 locations nationwide, Public Storage is the leader in the self-storage industry, and given our number of tenants, we may very well be the world's largest landlord. We've experienced unprecedented growth over the past four decades, and it's in no small part due to the dedicated team that has helped us become an S&P 500 industry leader, the country's largest real estate investment trust (REIT), and the most recognizable name in self-storage.
The Senior Employee Relations Manager (Sr. ERM) is a trusted adviser and critical partner to coach employees and leaders on various employee relation matters related, but not limited to, conflict resolution and performance deficiencies. The Sr. ERM will conduct investigations, as needed, while demonstrating a solid understanding of Public Storage’s policy, culture and core values and make recommendations to resolve issues and support vital course of actions to drive positive outcomes. As a subject matter expert, the Sr. ERM will identify risks and gaps, create, audit, and sustain positive workplace relations programs; and design and conduct positive workplace relations training that drives best practices. Leveraging climate surveys, exit interviews and investigations, this role will provide advice and counsel to leaders to ensure fair and consistent resolutions to employee relations issues and disciplinary actions.
- The Sr. ERM will work reactively on crisis-oriented situations while proactively working on mitigating risk for the future. The Sr. ERM will be comfortable both presenting to Leaders and communicating with frontline employees. This role will be a strong project manager with experience dealing with all level of employment investigations, performance management and engagement.
- Conduct investigations, keeping key partners informed with progress
- Identify and drive programs to foster constructive employee relations and ensure the organizations approach is fair, respectful and consistent
- Gather, analyze and interpret metrics to develop recommendations and strategies to facilitate positive employee relations and engagement
- Facilitate climate surveys as needed, sharing learnings with leaders and supporting them through the development of action plans
- Educate Human Resource and Field Leaders on Employee Relation Topics communicating trends and risk factors within Public Storage
- Management of Ethics Point and Ask HR Hotline- assigning cases across the organization based on workload and complexity and following up to ensure completion in a timely manner
- Partner with key collaborators across the business and Employee experience function
- Lead complex and high-volume employee situations related to performance management, general mentorship and feedback support, recommend solutions and assist with facilitation of resolution
- Partner with managers on performance matters and assess progress, mentor managers and employees through corrective action and disciplinary actions
- Evaluate and improve existing HR practices to introduce new perspectives, trends and processes
- Design and drive training sessions and interventions to meet employee needs and business objectives
- Support Human Resource initiatives by creating, editing policy, developing talking points and best practices as needed
- Oversee and support in Legal Subpoena and Litigation document gathering along with the coordination of interviews
- Solid working knowledge of the principles and practices of employee and labor relations
- In-depth knowledge and application of federal, state and local labor and employment law and regulations
- Experience leading multiple, concurrent, high-priority employee situations with a focus on timely and consistent execution
- Ability to work independently and be part of a team
- Detail-oriented with the ability to handle difficult situations with tact and diplomacy
- Demonstrated ability to analyze HR issues, provide information/direction, effectively express ideas, advice and solutions both verbally and in writing
- Proficiency in Microsoft office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.) prior knowledge of Navex Global, Workday, and EthicsPoint a plus
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to build trust, maximize relationships, and interact with all levels, from hourly employees to senior management
- Trustworthy HR professional with the ability to handle and maintain a high level of confidentiality and common sense regarding sensitive employee information
- Analytical skills, including the ability to develop, manage and interpret metrics
- The ability to recognize opportunities and assess risks before they become trends
- Highly organized, good planning, time management and prioritization with the ability to multi-task and handle competing priorities with deadlines
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.