Real Estate Controller
With more than 2,600 locations nationwide, Public Storage is the leader in the self-storage industry, and given our number of tenants, we may very well be the world's largest landlord. We've experienced unprecedented growth over the past four decades, and it's in no small part due to the dedicated team that has helped us become an S&P 500 industry leader, the country's largest real estate investment trust (REIT), and the most recognizable name in self-storage.
The Real Estate Controller is one of the key direct reports to the head of finance within the Public Storage real estate division. The Controller responsibilities include leading the Company's accounting team and all accounting activities related to development, redevelopment acquisitions, transaction execution and investment.
- Ensures an effective system of internal controls is operating properly, and that payment, contract, and financial commitment practices and procedures are in accordance with corporate guidelines and Sarbanes-Oxley. Supervises the completion of key control activities
- Provides support and information to the corporate financial reporting team
- Provides accounting guidance to members of the real estate division
- Monitors and projects commercial revenues and expenses, including AR and AP
- Develops cash flow forecasts
- Reads and understands construction contracts, escrow statements, construction budgets and draws and the related terms, and ensures compliance
- Performs acquisition purchase price allocations to land, building, and tenant intangibles and interfaces with independent auditor to facilitate their audit and support the allocations
- Prepares analysis of construction and development pipeline, analysis of yields, recent acquisitions, and upcoming acquisitions for purposes of quarterly board presentations and public reporting
- Regularly monitors financial strength and integrity of existing contractors, and performs due diligence analysis on new potential contractors
- Reviews activity in change orders, payment compliance, and other key indicators in the group to identify areas of potential risk in process, construction, and payment compliance
- Participates in the contract closeout phase by reviewing final lien waivers, final accounting, settling the account, and project evaluation
- Bachelors and/or Master's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, or a related field
- 5+ years of experience in accounting and financial analysis
- 3+ years management experience within an accounting or finance team with demonstrated success in a leadership role
- Real Estate industry experience is preferred; experience working with an Owner/Developer a plus
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Energetic, organized, creative, and highly motivated person with the ability to learn and work independently and collaboratively
- Strong work ethic and ability to support multiple projects in parallel and prioritize competing demands under the pressure of time-sensitive deadlines
- Strength of character and flexible style to work successfully with a range of people, from staff to executives. Has the personal presence to deal effectively with these constituencies
- An entrepreneurial spirit who has the commitment and wherewithal to collaboratively grow the Public Storage platform. This person will bring and implement industry best practices and sophistication
Public Storage offers competitive compensation program, in addition to medical, dental, vision, life, LTD, STD, AD&D, 401(k) with company matching, FSAs for healthcare and dependent care. Public Storage is an equal opportunity employer.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Relocation assistance is not available for this role.