Operations Legal Specialist
Public Storage is recognized as one of America’s Best Large Employers in 2022 by Forbes and our employees have also voted us as a Great Place to Work, having Best Career Growth, ranked us in the Top 5% for Work Culture, and in the Top 10% for Diversity and Inclusion.
With more than 2,800 locations nationwide, Public Storage is the leader in the self-storage industry, and given our number of tenants, we may very well be the world's largest landlord. We've experienced unprecedented growth over the past four decades, and it's in no small part due to the dedicated team that has helped us become an S&P 500 industry leader, the country's largest real estate investment trust (REIT), and the most recognizable name in self-storage.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an Operations Legal Specialist to join our team based out of our corporate offices in Glendale, CA.
The successful candidate will assist our Litigation Counsel and support Field Operations and Corporate groups with a variety of issues, including preparing financial reporting, preparing budgets, answering company policy questions, responding to compliance issues, and assisting with managing small claims and evictions.
The person in this position will:
- Provide guidance to the field operations regarding legal compliance relating to managing delinquent accounts, property management issues, and operations policy and process issues
- Receive service of process and assign cases to in-house and outside counsel
- Maintain our legal database, which includes coding and describing matters, troubleshooting billing issues, and regularly updating the matters
- Manage outside counsel with managing monthly accruals and tracking legal spend by matter type for reporting
- Provide quarterly accruals to the accounting department
- Reviewing and processing payment for monthly invoices and restitution cases including utilizing eBuilder system to ensure timely payment
- Prepare for the monthly P&L, including pulling reports on spend, new cases, settlements, tracking legal trends, and reporting spend and high visibility matters
- Respond to subpoenas from government and non-government entities and persons
- Assist the field with handling and defending small claims cases, and assigning counsel where necessary/permitted
- Manage and assign counsel to eviction cases, including sending the matter to counsel, providing periodic updates as necessary, and reviewing/approving related invoices
- Assist the commercial real estate group with commercial evictions and other commercial tenant issues
- Provide monthly reporting on various metrics , including spend and status of employment and other matters
- May assist with collection of discovery documentation for outside counsel and/or drafting or proofing of discovery responses.
- 5+ years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Thorough working knowledge of, and advanced aptitude in using Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Microsoft Word, and corporate legal databases such as CounselLink, CSC, Westlaw, PACER, Docuware, Yardi and ability and aptitude to learn new applications and programs.
- Legal experience is strongly preferred
- Excellent communication skills
- Must be detailed oriented and highly organized
- Must be a self-starter and possess strong multi-tasking skills
- Must be able to adapt and function well within a highly dynamic, busy environment
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.