Leave of Absence Manager
With more than 2,600 locations nationwide, Public Storage is the leader in the self-storage industry, and given our number of tenants, we may very well be the world's largest landlord. We've experienced unprecedented growth over the past four decades, and it's in no small part due to the dedicated team that has helped us become an S&P 500 industry leader, the country's largest real estate investment trust (REIT), and the most recognizable name in self-storage.
We currently have an opening for a Leave of Absence Manager to join our Human Resources Team.
The successful candidate will manage the Leave of Absence (LOA) administration which includes Short Term Disability, Federal and State Medical Leave, unpaid LOA and other leave programs including leading the interactive process. Additionally this individual will be responsible for managing and implementing our non-industrial Return to Work Process by coordinating between employees, supervisors, Third Party Administrators, medical providers and Human Resources professionals for an employee's return to work, from an illness or injury with temporary or permanent restrictions to ensure compliance with state and federal laws and regulations and minimize company risk and exposure.
- Manage RTW process for company Leave of Absences and may perform/assistance other duties related to leaves of absence as assigned
- Coordinate with supervisors and HR to consider and/or determine reduced, modified, alternate duties and/or assignments to allow the early return to work of an injured, ill or active employee.
- Manage ADA's and partner with HR/Supervisors to determine ADA qualifications and develop ongoing plan and continuous monitoring.
- Lead and document the interactive process between employee/supervisor. Provide any oral and/or written correspondence to manager/employee relating to the process.
- Act as Third Party Liaison concerning all LOA activities and any requests for reasonable accommodations for employees and applicants.
- Track employee placement and maintain oversight of employee activities to ensure compliance with restrictions.
- Track and compare trends of LOA, ADA requests and accommodations.
- Ensure that LOA and RTW policies, programs and practices are in regulatory compliance.
- Answer complex questions/resolve issues related to LOA programs.
- Coordinates with Worker's Compensations Department to effectively manage RTW issues. Responsible for keeping HR Directors advised of potential issues.
- Will collaborate with HR Directors/Benefits to respond to any legal inquiry related to formal disability complaints.
- Maintains a thorough understanding of Company benefit plans, contracts and overall program content
- Interpret related policies and procedures and monitor compliance with appropriate laws and regulations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administrations and/or Human Resources Preferred.
- Minimum 5+ years of increasingly responsible experience in HR professional level with disability & leave management, claim review, ADA, return to work programs and vendor management.
- Experience working for a third party disability vendor (STD, FMLA or Workers Compensation) and overall claim management experience.
- Strong analytical experience with managerial reporting required.
- Solid experience in the analysis, interpretation and presentation of performance measures.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong customer-service orientation with good follow-through.
- Proven ability to troubleshoot systems-related issues.
- Proficiency on MS suite of products (Office, Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and HRIS software.
- Organizational skills to manage multiple tasks and jobs to meet deadlines.
- Adaptable and flexible dealing with change.
- Strong capacity for operating in a flexible, dynamic environment where creative thinking is required.
- Strong working knowledge of employment laws and practices; California Labor Code provisions pertaining to WC, Cal/OSHA regulations, federal and state laws related to family leaves and disability.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.