With more than 2,600 locations nationwide, Public Storage is the leader in the self-storage industry, and given our number of tenants, we may very well be the world's largest landlord. We've experienced unprecedented growth over the past four decades, and it's in no small part due to the dedicated team that has helped us become an S&P 500 industry leader, the country's largest real estate investment trust (REIT), and the most recognizable name in self-storage.
Public Storage currently has an excellent opportunity for an Internal Auditor. The successful candidate will work on-site at property locations, at a district/regional office or home office as appropriate. The Internal Auditor will work with the VP of Internal Audit and the Internal Audit Services group to provide independent assurance and advisory services designed to assist management in meeting strategic objectives. Additionally, the Internal Auditor will uphold the Internal Audit charter by promoting the efficient and effective use of internal controls at a reasonable cost, as well as the productive use and safeguarding of company resources.
- Travel to various Company locations and perform on-site property audits or investigations.
- Travel to potential acquisition properties and perform on-site due diligence reviews.
- Participate in evaluating internal controls supporting financial, operational and compliance objectives - including those related to Sarbanes-Oxley compliance. Make recommendations to strengthen internal controls where needed.
- Evaluate and interpret trends and anomalies in operational and financial data to focus audit activities on highest risk areas of the Company.
- Prepare detailed reports on audit/investigation/due diligence findings that are factual, clear, concise, and complete.
- Conduct or assist in special examinations and projects at the request of management or the Audit Committee, including matters involving conflicts of interest, irregularities or acquisition due diligence.
- This position requires frequent travel to company locations.
- Trusted business partner with strong written and verbal communication skills and unquestioned business ethics.
- Proactive team player -- practical and innovative as well as flexible and nimble.
- Detail oriented, with ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Effectively use of time, money and company assets to provide timely focus on areas of greatest risk and exposure to Public Storage.
- Facilitate the sharing of organizational learning and best practices.
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge of best audit practices and industry current events.
- Valid driver license and ability to travel (including plane travel) up to 85%
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite (Excel, Word, Powerpoint)
- Undergraduate degree in business disciplines preferred
- 5+ years business experience with prior operational auditing experience a plus