Director of Sustainability
Public Storage is recognized as one of America’s Best Large Employers in 2022 by Forbes and our employees have also voted us as a Great Place to Work, having Best Career Growth, ranked us in the Top 5% for Work Culture, and in the Top 10% for Diversity and Inclusion.
With more than 2,900 locations nationwide, Public Storage is the leader in the self-storage industry, and given our number of tenants, we may very well be the world's largest landlord. We've experienced unprecedented growth over the past four decades, and it's in no small part due to the dedicated team that has helped us become an S&P 500 industry leader, the country's largest real estate investment trust (REIT), and the most recognizable name in self-storage.
Public Storage is searching for an experienced Director, Sustainability. We are focused on resilience, growth, and value creation as we continue to solidify our position as a global leader in sustainable self-storage operations. Over the past 5 years, we have improved our sustainability posture with investments in emissions reducing projects across our portfolio, and we are now the nations’ leading self-storage owner of green-certified facilities. We currently have over 350 operating solar projects with an additional 650+ in development, and continue to work on additional initiatives to continue our carbon reduction journey. We participate annually in the Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB), where we recently obtained an ‘A’ rating. This complements our ‘Low Risk’ Sustainalytics profile, our ‘BBB’ MSCI rating and our achievement as the highest U.S. REIT score on the Carbon Disclosure Project.
The Director, Sustainability will work closely with Company leadership to further advance and embed sustainability into Public Storage’s culture, investment platform, and operations with primary responsibility for the management of our Sustainability programs and their related reporting and communication.
The right candidate will have a desire to build upon Public Storage’s existing sustainability processes, as well as the leadership presence to interact at the highest levels of the organization. This key leadership role requires an individual with deep expertise in sustainability practices, environmental stewardship, stakeholder engagement, and sustainable development initiatives. They will work well in a team-driven environment, be highly motivated, possess sound judgment, have demonstrated excellence in prior endeavors, and have a true passion for the task at hand.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Developing and executing a comprehensive, risk-based sustainability strategy aligned with the Company’s mission and goals.
- Establishing and overseeing effective sustainability reporting processes, including producing the annual Sustainability Report and submitting responses to GRESB, MSCI, and other third-party rating companies. Working with stakeholders across the Company to ensure the underlying data for all reporting are monitored, collected, accurate and reconciled to the source data.
- Working with Investor Services and the Public Storage Executive Leadership Team to respond to investor queries related to sustainability matters.
- Creating and maintaining dashboards to track progress on the Company’s activities related to the overall sustainability strategy and its underlying annual goals.
- Preparing and presenting presentations and reports to communicate status and progress of sustainability initiatives to internal and external stakeholders.
- Working with other Company functions, including Legal and Financial Reporting, to comply with federal and state climate disclosure requirements.
- Working with other Company functions, including Operations, Real Estate Development, and Asset Management, to establish and deliver on greenhouse gas emissions reduction and other sustainability goals.
- Work closely with the VP, Enterprise Risk to monitor sustainability and climate risk in the portfolio and identify opportunities to address these risks.
- Staying current with, and assessing the implications of, emerging sustainability trends, benchmarks, and regulations.
Base Pay Range: $130,000 - $195,000
Compensation may vary outside of this range depending on a number of factors, including a candidate’s qualifications, skills, competencies and experience, and location. Base pay is one part of our total awards approach to compensation which is provided to compensate and recognize employees for their work, and this role may be eligible for additional discretionary bonuses or incentives.
- At least 8-10 years of experience in corporate environment, with 5+ years leading intra-organizational sustainability programs in companies of similar size and complexity to Public Storage.
- Bachelors degree in Engineering, Environmental Science, Business, or related field. MBA or other advanced graduate degree strongly preferred.
- Strong understanding of sustainability frameworks (e.g., GRI, SASB, TCFD), sustainability reporting standards, sustainability benchmarks, and risk and opportunities specific to real estate companies.
- Superior communication and presentation skills as demonstrated by clear, concise and impactful written and verbal communications.
- Ability to influence diverse stakeholders, build relationships, and work collaboratively at all levels of the organization, utilizing strong project management and interpersonal skills to drive decision making, consensus building, and collaboration.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and strategic planning skills and ability to work with critical reporting deadlines with attention to detail and quality.
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to plan, execute, and deliver results within specified timelines.
- Strategic and business-oriented mindset, high integrity, and strong moral and ethical code.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.