With more than 2,600 locations nationwide, Public Storage is the leader in the self-storage industry, and given our number of tenants, we may very well be the world's largest landlord. We've experienced unprecedented growth over the past four decades, and it's in no small part due to the dedicated team that has helped us become an S&P 500 industry leader, the country's largest real estate investment trust (REIT), and the most recognizable name in self-storage.
Public Storage currently has an excellent opportunity for a Development Manager to be based in Glendale, CA. The Development Manager will report to the Regional Vice President of Development. The successful candidate will work with the RVP to take our projects from concept to completion. Successful candidate will participate with team members on acquisition, city/county coordination, site and building design, permitting, design meetings, construction administration and acts as the representative of the owner. This position will be responsible for preparation of site investigation reports, cost at completion reports, project status reports and maintaining project files. The successful candidate will have knowledge of real estate transactions, general contracting methods, be detail oriented and purpose driven to set and meet deadlines.
- Understand business needs of Public Storage to develop project requirements.
- Develop feasibility modeling, including capital costs budgeting, pro forma return measurements and valuation methodologies.
- Perform site evaluations and make recommendations for site selections.
- Collaborate with various departments throughout the development process to ensure timely completion of all objectives and milestones.
- Understands project entitlements and implementation of approval requirements.
- Create "currency" for negotiations with Governmental authorities to achieve project approvals.
- Assist with multiple and complex entitlement processes.
- Other projects and duties expected of a development manager of the real estate department.
- A Bachelor’s Degree required. Business Administration or Civil Engineering highly preferred
- A minimum of 5-7 years of experience in the development of multiple properties and/or retail chain development experience
- Strong analytical, problem solving, strategic planning, and project management skills
- Proven experience in the underwriting and valuation of development opportunities; land acquisitions and underwriting transactions
- Experienced in leading teams of consultants
- Experience leveraging broker communities
- Knowledge to assess and mitigate risks in the transaction, entitlement and development processes
- Excellent negotiation skills with the ability to sell your ideas and the rationale behind them
- Has exhibited a high degree of self-motivation, integrity and success in past endeavors
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment where deadlines are essential
- Ability to handle multiple transactions and projects simultaneously
Public Storage offers competitive compensation program, in addition to medical, dental, vision, life, LTD, STD, AD&D, 401(k) with company matching, FSAs for healthcare and dependent care. Public Storage is an equal opportunity employer.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.