With more than 2,600 locations nationwide, Public Storage is the leader in the self-storage industry, and given our number of tenants, we may very well be the world's largest landlord. We've experienced unprecedented growth over the past four decades, and it's in no small part due to the dedicated team that has helped us become an S&P 500 industry leader, the country's largest real estate investment trust (REIT), and the most recognizable name in self-storage.
Public Storage currently has an excellent opportunity for a Development Director to be based in Los Angeles or Orange County, CA. The Development Director will report to the Regional Vice President of Development. The successful candidate will work with the RVP to take our projects from concept to completion. Successful candidate will participate with team members on acquisition, city/county coordination, site and building design, permitting, design meetings, construction administration and acts as the representative of the owner. This position will be responsible for preparation of site investigation reports, cost at completion reports, project status reports and maintaining project files. The successful candidate will have knowledge of real estate transactions, general contracting methods, be detail oriented and purpose driven to set and meet deadlines.
- Analyze and evaluate the business needs of company to align project requirements, cost projections, construction objectives and profit goals with each project.
- Perform site evaluations and make recommendations for site selections.
- Take a leadership role on the collaboration with various departments throughout the development process to ensure timely completion of all objectives and milestones.
- Oversee the entitlement, design, construction and scheduling processes of each project.
- Develop feasibility modeling, including capital costs budgeting, pro forma return measurements and valuation methodologies.
- Understands project entitlements and implementation of approval requirements.
- Create "currency" for negotiations with Governmental authorities to achieve project approvals.
- Manage multiple complex entitlement and development projects simultaneously.
- Other projects and duties expected of a development manager of the real estate department.
- A Bachelor’s Degree required with preference in Business Administration Civil Engineering
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in the development of multiple properties and/or retail chain development experience.
- Experienced in leading teams
- Experience leveraging broker communities
- Proven experience in the underwriting and valuation of development opportunities; land acquisitions and underwriting transactions
- Strong analytical, problem solving, strategic planning, and project management skills
- Knowledge to assess and mitigate risks in the transaction, entitlement and development processes
- Excellent negotiation skills with the ability to sell your ideas and the rationale behind them
- Has exhibited a high degree of self-motivation, integrity and success in past endeavors
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment where deadlines are essential
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and projects simultaneously
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.