Public Storage is recognized as one of America’s Best Large Employers in 2022 by Forbes and our employees have also voted us as a Great Place to Work, having Best Career Growth, ranked us in the Top 5% for Work Culture, and in the Top 10% for Diversity and Inclusion.
With more than 2,800 locations nationwide, Public Storage is the leader in the self-storage industry, and given our number of tenants, we may very well be the world's largest landlord. We've experienced unprecedented growth over the past four decades, and it's in no small part due to the dedicated team that has helped us become an S&P 500 industry leader, the country's largest real estate investment trust (REIT), and the most recognizable name in self-storage.
We are looking for an Accounting Manager to join our Real Estate team. The Accounting Manager’s responsibilities include leading the real estate accounting and operational activities related to development, redevelopment, acquisitions, transaction execution and investment.
- Prepare purchase price allocation valuations for non-portfolio acquisitions, in accordance with ASC 805 Business Combinations, and ASC 820 Fair Value Measurement.
- Work with 3rd party external valuation service providers, for portfolio purchase price allocation valuations.
- Serve as the primary gate keeper for funds leaving the company via investment in acquisitions, development and the maintenance of real estate assets, including management and coaching of the Accounts Payable Team, and vendor relationship management.
- Management and coaching of the Commercial Accounts Receivable team
- Act as the primary point of contact with the corporate accounting team, providing advice on all aspects of real estate asset accounting, providing guidance on monthly and quarterly construction accruals/expenses
- Prepare monthly acquisition and development property reporting
- Prepare materials for monthly construction and development team cost meetings
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reconciliations of real estate systems, for internal controls
- Responsible for maintaining an effective system of internal controls, and that payment, contract, and financial commitment practices and procedures are in accordance with corporate guidelines and Sarbanes-Oxley, including signoff on Quarterly SOX certifications.
- Prepare quarterly acquisition and development threshold reporting
- Assist with external and internal auditor requests
- Review commission payments for the commercial salespersons
- Regularly monitor the financial strength and integrity of existing contractors, and perform due diligence analysis on new potential contractors
- Bachelors and/or Master's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, or a related field
- 5+ years of experience in accounting
- CPA strongly preferred
- Good understanding of US GAAP and real estate specific accounting practices
- Real Estate industry experience is preferred; experience working with an Owner/Developer a plus
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Energetic, organized, creative, and highly motivated person with the ability to learn and work independently and collaboratively
- Strong work ethic and ability to support multiple projects in parallel and prioritize competing demands under the pressure of time-sensitive deadlines
- Strength of character and flexible style to work successfully with a range of people, from staff to executives. Has the personal presence to deal effectively with these constituencies
- An entrepreneurial spirit who has the commitment and wherewithal to collaboratively grow the Public Storage platform. This person will bring and implement industry best practices and sophistication
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.