Public Storage is recognized as one of America’s Best Large Employers in 2022 by Forbes and our employees have also voted us as a Great Place to Work, having Best Career Growth, ranked us in the Top 5% for Work Culture, and in the Top 10% for Diversity and Inclusion.
With more than 2,800 locations nationwide, Public Storage is the leader in the self-storage industry, and given our number of tenants, we may very well be the world's largest landlord. We've experienced unprecedented growth over the past four decades, and it's in no small part due to the dedicated team that has helped us become an S&P 500 industry leader, the country's largest real estate investment trust (REIT), and the most recognizable name in self-storage.
We are looking for a high potential and highly motivated individual to join the corporate accounting team as the Insurance Accountant. Our team’s work product has high visibility, consisting of: internal reporting and analysis reviewed by the CFO, CEO, other members of senior management, the Board of Trustees, and reporting to the SEC. This person will work with the Corporate Accounting Manager to support, and influence people throughout the finance group and larger organization.
- Oversight of property and casualty insurance programs, including:
- Loss recognition on damaged property
- Recording monthly results of insurance products offered to our customers
- Reconciliation of insurance accounts, generation of adjusting journal entries and processing of certain insurance related claims and expenses
- Prepare reporting and analysis for Management and the Board of Trustees
- Adherence and preparation of support for internal control testing
- Work with actuaries and independent auditors
- Proactively identify and drive process improvements and standardization
Base Pay Range: $80,000 - $100,000
Compensation may vary outside of this range depending on a number of factors, including a candidate’s qualifications, skills, competencies and experience, and location. Base pay is one part of our total awards approach to compensation which is provided to compensate and recognize employees for their work, and this role may be eligible for additional discretionary bonuses or incentives.
- 3-5 years of insurance accounting experience and familiarity with industry terminology
- Minimum four year degree in Accounting/Finance
- CPA preferred
- Strong analytical, accounting, and intellectual skills/capacity
- Advanced computer skills, especially in MS Excel
- "Roll up the sleeves" and "follow through to completion" attitude
- Self-starter with ability to multi-task and work under strict reporting timelines
- Ability to develop cooperative relationships within all levels of the organization
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
We are looking for the right fit from not only the technical perspective but a team fit as well. In addition to showing a desire and demonstrated potential for growth and advancement, some of the characteristics we would like to see in the successful candidate are:
- Team player - someone who works toward team goals and achievements
- Sense of urgency - ability to meet regular monthly/quarterly deadlines successfully
- Quality of thought - the ability to understand and process opinions from all levels within the organization
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.